In 2017, Atletico Madrid said goodbye to their old stadium of Vicente Calderon and moved to the newly built Wanda Metropolitano.
For any true football fan, seeing an iconic stadium demolished is always a sad experience.
In 2017, Atletico Madrid said goodbye to their old stadium of Vicente Calderon and moved to the newly built Wanda Metropolitano.
For any true football fan, seeing an iconic stadium demolished is always a sad experience.
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has again vented against the spending power of clubs like Manchester City by claiming: There is no financial fair play, there is nothing, you do what you want.
Mourinho has cut a frustrated figure as City run clear in the Premier League title race, complaining that Pep Guardiola can buy full-backs for the price of strikers .
United have signed Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Nemanja Matic, Victor Lindelof, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Eric Bailly since Mourinho replaced Louis van Gaal last year, but they trail City by 15 points after 20 matches.
While giving some credit to Guardiola and City, Mourinho believes they are operating on a different financial level, even as United top the Forbes list of the m…
Market: Both teams to score
Odds: 2/3 @
Two sides signing off their A-League campaign on Friday morning, Macarthur will welcome Wellington Phoenix to Campbelltown Stadium.
Starting with the hosts, managing to make a return to winning ways with a deserved 2-1 victory away at Western United earlier in the week, Macarthur have gained plenty of plaudits in their maiden A-League campaign. Wrapping up a Final Series spot with time to spare, they also managed to prove that their 2-1 defeat against Central Coast Mariners last week was just a minor blip. With just a single defeat to their name in any of their last eight straight contests, a run that stems back to the middle of April, Head Coach Ante Milicic will now be desperate for his side to find some stability on hom…
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane feels his achievements as a player give him no protection at the LaLiga giants, insisting he would not be at the club for 10 years.
Zidane, who has guided Madrid to two Champions League titles and a LaLiga crown, is under some pressure at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Madrid have fallen 16 points behind leaders and rivals Barcelona after winning nine of 17 league games.
Zidane, who has been in charge since January 2016, said he understood he would have limited time at the helm of Madrid.
Zinedine Zidane isn t a player at Real Madrid anymore. That Zidane no longer exists, he told France Football.
Now it s down to Zinedine Zidane the coach to carve out a career. I m not protected by what I ve done as a player at this clu…
Liverpool star Sadio Mane deserved to at least finish in the top three for the Ballon d Or, according to Senegal team-mate Idrissa Gueye.
As Lionel Messi claimed a record sixth Ballon d Or on Monday, Mane finished fourth behind the Barcelona forward, Liverpool team-mate Virgil van Dijk and Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo.
Paris Saint-Germain and Senegal midfielder Gueye believes Mane deserved more after his stellar year.
He deserved to be on the podium, Gueye said after PSG s 2-0 Ligue 1 win over Nantes on Wednesday.
For me, he deserved the Ballon d Or or at least the podium. Unfortunately, he is fourth and that s a shame. I feel sad for him.
Relentless. Magnificent. Unplayable.
Your Man of the Match, Sadio Mane!
— Liverpool …
Fournier takes over at the Stade de Gerland after Garde announced that he would not be renewing his contract in order to take a break from football.
The 46-year-old leaves Reims following a four-year spell in which he guided them back to the French top flight, ending a 33-year absence in 2012.
Reims finished 14th in their first season back in Ligue 1 and improved on that showing this term as they ended the campaign in 11th.
Fournier will now look to build on the success he enjoyed at the Stade Auguste Delaune with a Lyon side that came fifth in Ligue 1 in 2013-14, missing out on UEFA Champions League football.
Lyon are to unveil Fournier as their new boss later on Friday.
…
Ligue 1 club AS Saint-Étienne have revealed that they have turned down multiple offers for Newcastle United and Queens Park Rangers transfer target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, .
Aubameyang, 23, joined Les Verts on loan from Serie A giants AC Milan in January 2011. After a successful loan spell, the 23-year-old finalised a permanent switch to the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard in December 2011.
The Gabon international striker has been an important player for Saint-Étienne ever since, netting a career-best 16 goals and seven assists in 36 league matches last term.
According to L’Equipe, Newcastle United have submitted a €10 million offer for Aubameyang, while Queens Park Rangers have offered Saint-Étienne €15 million for the Gabon striker, as …
For a manager who has amassed silverware with the same nonchalant ease as if he were collecting stamps, Arsene Wenger still has a point to prove on the eve of his 13th season in English football.
The Arsenal manager has endured a turbulent close-season, losing two of his most impressive performers from last year the midfielders Mathieu Flamini and Alexander Hleb as well as two of his most experienced in Gilberto and Jens Lehmann.
There have been mutinous mutterings from Emmanuel Adebayor, the club s leading goalscorer from last term who had been agitating for a move to AC Milan or Barcelona.
With new signings also thin on the ground Samir Nasri, the French winger, is the highest profile arrival having joined from Marseille Wenger has seen his chances of winni…
Lois Openda scored a hat-trick in Lens 4-0 win at Clermont on Sunday in just four minutes and 30 seconds, the fastest in Ligue 1 since 1967.
The 23-year-old grabbed his first goal in the 30th minute at the Stade Gabriel Montpied after racing onto a lofted pass from the left from Angelo Fulgini before putting the ball through the legs of Clermont goalkeeper Mory Diaw.
In the 34th minute he took advantage of a defensive error from the hosts as he finished off a neat square pass from Adrien Thomasson, before completing his hat-trick just 66 seconds later when Mateusz Wieteska underhit a backpass, allowing Openda to round Diaw and finish.
The Belgian striker also managed to add an assist in the second half as he pulled the ball back from the right for substitute Alex…
Germany attacker Thomas Muller has made it clear he will no longer be taking penalties after missing from the spot in his side s Euro 2016 quarter-final win over Italy.
The reigning world champions needed penalties to see off Italy as things were level at 1-1 after 120 minutes, but Muller was one of three Germans who failed to find the net from 12 yards, Gianluigi Buffon saving his kick.
The versatile attacker also missed from the spot for Bayern Munich against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League semi-final second leg and he has consequently decided not to take any penalties for now.
I will not be taking any penalties for the next two weeks, Muller told Sport Bild.
I will work on my technique at penalties for a bit and I will be back stronger in …
Wolfsburg are preparing to drive a hard bargain over Andre Schurrle s desire to join Borussia Dortmund.
Schurrle moved to Volkswagen Arena from Chelsea in February 2015 and is under contract until June 2019.
The 25-year-old Germany international is hoping to be reunited with his former Mainz coach Thomas Tuchel, now in charge at Signal Iduna Park.
Wolfsburg s sporting director Klaus Allofs had previously indicated the Wolves are unwilling to allow a prized asset to leave.
And given Schurrle still has three seasons to run on his contract, Dortmund are unlikely to prise away the forward cheaply, despite the attacker s apparent determination to move.
Andre has told us that he can see himself at Dortmund, Allofs was quoted as saying by Wolfsburger Al…